Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Poem: "Too Afraid"

This is a piece of poetry that I wrote for my blog Writing Unafriad.

I believe that there is beauty in writing when it is raw and when it is real...I will no longer hide from the night...so as the sun sets and as I stare beyond the skyline...I will write until my heart is contenet...until only my hand aches and my heart is healed...

I love what writing brings me...peace. To all those victims of domestic violence, of rape, of sexual abuse...I pray for you...I pray that one day you can take back the night...that you will live unafraid and that your hearts will be healed.

Too Afraid
I was too afraid to struggle
against his strong black body.
I was too afraid to admit
that what he was doing was wrong.
All I could do was cry.

Black mascara streaks
flowing from the corner of my eyes.
Red thick blood
flowing from the inners of my thighs.
How can I admit that I was a victim?

He was sweet before then,
bought me anything I wanted,
took me to the best restaurants,
and introduced me to his friends.

So whe he invited me over
to his apartment in the Bronx,
I went freely
in the middle of the night,
looking good,
smelling good,
with my hair done right.
So what?

He probably didn't understand
how when I said no I really meant it.

He probably didn't understand
that my cringes at his touch were of fear
and not shivers of pure ecstacy.

He probably didn't understand
how my tears were ones of pain
and not of pleasure.

He probably didn't understand
how my creis for his release
were for his arms and not his
penis.

He probably didn't understand
that the blood that mixed with his semen
was not a sign of virginity
but a sign of destruction.

Somebody please help me,
come on just tell me.
How can I be a victim?
How can I be an added statistic
to the countless unreported rapes?

I can't be...
I'm too afraid to be...
too afraid to admit it to myself,
too afraid to admit that
I am scarred, and buised, and damaged,
too afriad to admit that
what he did was wrong.

He probably just didn't understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment